Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mix energy and structure.

Yes.

If you tuned in to my little live stream on Wednesday night thank you and hope you enjoyed it. You would have gotten a preview of the mix I recorded during it. I'm going to re-do the mix though because I'm not fully happy with it for a couple reasons.

Walking around listening to the music I've been playing all day every day brings my energy up and down and messes with my thoughts and feelings. There are songs that make you want to close your eyes and sing lyrics in the middle of a bus ride until a drop hits. The energy that comes up is one of pure emotional connection and when that beat drops you just want to let it all out and move to the music. I decided to structure a mix based on this type of energy and it is actually really good except for a few technical things which will be fixed when I record it again.

Channeling this energy and making it flow from song to song is what I was concentrating on and you can really feel it. Once the connection is made to the music through the lyrics and soft sounds the energy can be moved to songs that have the same feel but don't have the same emotional connection. The songs all have the same speed but as the feel of them changes the energy goes up with it and all of a sudden you're listening to a song that you have never heard and don't understand why it is still controlling your feelings. Cool stuff. I heard once that sounds are one of the things you can literally feel because the sound waves vibrate the receptors in your ear and are translated to your body via magic. Puts a new perspective on music. 

I'll attempt to record the mix live tomorrow while I'm playing at Towers so hopefully it goes well. Would love for you to stop by again.

-fwylo

No comments:

Post a Comment