Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Where Are You Now?

It's been 15 months since I last posted. Been a while.

A thought for today with spring in full swing and summer just around the corner:

Today's world is filled with stimulation. Smartphones, TV, movies, music, advertisements, work, school, entertainment, social media, drama; the options are endless. Every aspect of our lives is carried forward with the expectation that some new event will distract us from who we are; distract us from the thoughts in our head and inevitably the "regular" lives we all should be living. Now, when I say regular I don't mean average or not extraordinary, that part is completely up to you.

I'm talking about consistency and regularity. Setting yourself on a path, making a plan that ignores distractions and sticking to it; having a daily, weekly, or monthly routine that you commit to in order to have a strong foundation to build upon. The type that will actually move your life forward and take you to the next step. Success isn't built on some weak event that launches you to the top randomly. When it does happen it is hollow and surrounded by negativity (E.g. Justin Bieber).

Why do you think you feel stuck?

The problem I see is everyone being so uncomfortable with the thought of an even slightly regular schedule. I don't blame anyone for it; like I said, our lives are filled with distractions. We were born on the cusp of the technological age and at this point I'm pretty sure no one really knows how to deal with it. We've all just grown in to it and thus accepted that this is the way it is. Inadvertently feeling that we need the newest piece of technology to get us through the day, feeling that we need the biggest DJs to come to town to feel like it's even worth going out, or even feeling that we need a new person in our lives to replace one that has left us. We feel like our lives our falling apart if nothing "exciting" happens soon enough, to the point where we will sit on social media and scroll the endless trail of posts until we find something that even slightly peaks our least important interests. Creating things in our head when there's nothing to create it for us is a skill we've all subconsciously become very good at.

If you decided to go out for dinner 3 Fridays in a row, could you even go to the same restaurant every time?

We try things once or twice and they start to get old. The excitement of "new" is lost and it becomes familiar and eventually boring. The sad thing is, a constant flow of new things saturates whatever market it may be and inherently destroys. We live with the idea that there will always be something new to catch our attention but what if all of a sudden the flow just stopped? How many people would be just completely lost?

There are a lot of roles that I play. I am son, brother, friend, boyfriend, uncle, student, cellphone salesman, DJ, promoter. 4 years ago I set myself on a path and it has led me to where I am now; a year left in a business degree, 2 weekly residencies, and a record deal with a company in LA. This path has never been anything concrete, it was a small and shady gravel inlet covered in rocky ideas leading in to a dark forest. I have lost too much to even be accounted for in the process, feeling like branches reaching out to cut me down. So many days where the light at the end was so dim that it seemed like I had turned the wrong way. But my aim is only to move forward; through all the distractions, through the people that will think whatever they want to about me, resisting the bad habits that I developed earlier that I was lucky enough to break free from. My loved ones give me strength and I try as hard as possible to return the favour when it's needed.

So, my advice is this: If you find something good, and I mean truly GOOD, for you as person and for your life as a whole. Support it and nurture it. Give it time to grow and develop. If you like it at the beginning and it begins to feel old practice giving things time. Sometimes it may not work out but even in the end, the process will always make you better.

If you feel like you're exempt from this, chances are that you aren't. Take a look at yourself and ask yourself what you're building towards.

Things always improve if you've set yourself on the right path. I'm pretty sure the end never really comes, we just keep walking through this abyss we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment